POSITION SUMMARY: Collaborate on state-of-the-art research in thin film coatings. Responsible for high precision testing of large optics. Participate in development of new testing methods for evaporative and sol-gel coatings, and structured thin films. Assist in spectral characterization of thin films and in maintenance and operation of testing equipment. Supervise student assistants in testing procedures.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: The Laboratory Technician reports to the Senior Laboratory Engineer in the Thin Film Technologies group and duties include the following:
- Measurement of optical thin film spectral characteristics using a laser reflectometer, a spectrophotometer, or fiber-optic spectrometer.
- Document coating runs. Enter data in spreadsheets and databases.
- Maintenance of equipment for optical testing.
- Execute checklists and assist with procedure documentation.
- Troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment and make simple repairs.
- Support other coating chamber work such as bead-blasting panels as necessary.
- Train and work with undergraduate students to test various optical components.
REQUIREMENTS: The position will require the ability to manipulate heavy mechanisms and glass substrates. Good mechanical or electrical skills are desired. Previous experience working with alignment of laser systems would be beneficial. Strong organizational skills and the ability to document work and follow procedures are important for on the job training. The willingness to interact with fellow technicians, research scientists, students, and vendors with a friendly and professional attitude is essential for carrying out the duties of this job.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates Degree in optics, electro-optics, physics, or mechanical technology plus five year’s work experience in thin films, or a relevant technical field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.rochester.edu/jobopp.
Please apply to Job Opening ID 230374.