The Buyer-Planner will report to the Operations Manager in the Operations Department.
We provide advanced photonics solutions and other specialty technology for US and international Special Operations Forces and Combat Arms elements that are forward in the fight.
B.E. Meyers & Co., Inc. is an ISO 9001:2015-certified developer, manufacturer, and systems integrator of optoelectronic and related products used in defense and law enforcement applications. The company’s core competencies include turnkey laser targeting and illumination systems, night-vision devices, long range surveillance, and other integrated laser systems. We are proud of our reputation as a technology leader in delivering solutions that are proven to meet the demanding performance requirements of extreme environments and combat conditions. Since our origin in 1974, we have been dedicated to providing the highest quality of products, services and support to our customers. B.E. Meyers & Co. is a privately-owned and operated small business located in Redmond, WA.
SUMMARY: Responsible for both planning and buying activities, as well as providing back up support in Shipping, Receiving and Stockroom. This person will use approved requirements and availability of resources to plan and prioritize the release of jobs to production and support the flow of material from receipt to shipment. This person will also procure products and services to support manufacturing and product development, while managing a variety of suppliers and executing purchase orders to meet cost, quality, and delivery goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Manage WIP (open jobs, maintain jobs, close jobs) to support the approved build plan.
- Analyze complete work orders to verify labor and material posting, closing and retaining work orders.
- Help coordinate priorities for job release and kitting.
- Be a go-to person for ERP transaction questions.
- Use history and planned demand data to help set min/max and Kanban levels.
- Assist Manufacturing Engineering in the design and creation of bills of manufacturing/materials in the ERP system.
- Help setup stock codes in ERP system including correct costing and planning parameters
- Attend status meetings to develop priorities in line with requirements.
- Assist and/or lead the DCO processes for necessary changes to structure or routings due to manufacturing requirements.
- Report capacity required including overtime needs per build schedule and business planning.
- Configure and review variant process requirements and ensure their accuracy throughout the build/pack process.
- Support Shipping, Receiving and Stockroom including cycle counts, annual inventory, and other material transactions
- Maintain Vendor and Purchase Order records while adhering to all purchasing procedures, ISO or AS9100 Quality System requirements, ITAR regulations, and DFARS requirements.
- Manage suppliers to meet delivery, quality, and cost goals.
- Maintain bid requests, analyze quotes, compare prices, and negotiate contracts.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with Suppliers, co-workers and management.
- Use ERP system to determine material requirements, maintain open order report, and manage exception reports.
- Maintain ERP system to retain accurate purchasing data including lead times, pricing, supplier, etc.
- Maintain supplier contact information and correspondence records in SalesForce.
- Manage a wide variety of commodities including machined parts, electronics, and optics to support the build schedule.
- Report status of supplies to internal customers as necessary.
- Assist in evaluation of new and current suppliers.
- Participate in the New Product Development process to support new product projects.
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection, vendors, manufacturing engineers, and others to determine disposition and corrective action.
- Work with finance and suppliers to resolve invoicing discrepancies.
- Read and interpret drawings/blueprints and related specifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must love guns!
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Associates degree or program certificate; or 3+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive ERP experience in a manufacturing environment required, SysPro experience strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of entire flow of Operations from Receiving to Shipping.
- Knowledge of Bill of Manufacturing/Materials structures and routings.
- Knowledge of Production and Purchasing functions in a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of flow of Engineering and Design Change Order requirements.
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to negotiate and write contracts.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and interest, analyze quotations and quantify requirements using MRP calculations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None.
Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
MRP skills in a Manufacturing environment required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally and regularly requires walking, sitting, talking, and using hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. The employee will be required to use a computer and talk on the phone. Specific vision abilities required by this job are close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is in a both a warehouse and production floor environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office environment. (Examples: business office with computers and/or computer printers, light traffic).
This position may require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
B.E. Meyers & Co., Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer