A dynamic and hands-on a role, leading the electrical engineering product development efforts from concept to commercial release of new UV curing products for use in the electronics, industrial, aerospace and medical-device end markets. With a strong focus on analog and digital circuit design, a Senior Electrical Product Development Engineer will balance expertise in electronic engineering fundamentals with creativity, innovation and proof-concept prototyping. This role requires strong organizational and project management skills, self-motivation, thirst for knowledge, and the ability to thrive in a high paced environment.
- Lead and manage large high priority complex projects, a year plus in scope, from start to finish independently, while also serving as a technical leader on larger team-based project. May be asked to develop and coach others, and apply one’s knowledge to other departments or business units.
- Research and investigate appropriate technologies in electronics, microprocessors, LED and UV lamp drivers, communication protocols, power management, noise filtering and other relevant design aspects of UV curing equipment; conducting critical design analysis and simulations of complex systems and sub-systems of equipment.
- Create and maintain engineering data, documentation and collateral that achieves project deliverables and supports a product Design History File (DHF), such as, electrical drawings, schematics, functional block diagrams, detailed technical specifications, functional requirements documents, software requirements, component datasheets, project schedules & tasks lists, engineering analysis & simulation reports, and design verification test plans and reports.
- Perform classical engineering analysis on designs and concepts using mathematics, conventional scientific methods or use of software simulations. When required, initiate and perform hands-on laboratory testing for the benefit of product validation, competitive benchmarking, analysis of field failures, and solving technical issues.
- Innovate and develop working proof of concepts to demonstrate new technology or win a new customer accounts that require a new or derivate product.
- Serve as an internal customer advocate, coordinating team activities and schedules to drive design and project deliverables and ensure results, data and documentation is analyzed and published by the team. Foster an environment that openly shares work/ideas and routinely seek reviews/feedback from peers.
- Be a quality champion to ensure rigor in the process of product development and adherence in engineering standards is upheld. Set an example with own work.
- Drive results for the organization through the self-motived ability to collect and analyze data, then draw meaningful conclusions that can presented to peers and management. Communicate orally or by publishing written findings in a professional and expert manner.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an accredited university required. Masters of Science in Engineering or higher preferred.
- Minimum seven to ten years of experience, preferably in an industry dealing with the manufacturing, assembly and development of electromechanical products. Prior knowledge of UV curing systems, photonics or optoelectronic devices is a plus and/or experience with networking equipment to industrial machine protocols also a plus.
- Proven ability to work throughout the entire product life cycle from concept to commercialization. Must be able to effectively manage and split time between design engineering (~40%), analytical engineering (~40%), and project engineering (~20%) activities and responsibilities. Past experience with a stage-gate or formal new product introduction process a plus.
- Advanced experience with embedded microcontroller based hardware design, knowledge of high speed PCB layout, signal integrity, timing analysis, and thermal management required.
- Past achievements of self-teaching new skills and technology, using strong analytical background and demonstrated use of solid engineering fundamentals with electromechanical equipment to generate new concepts and ideas.
- Experienced in designing systems that meet regulatory compliance requirement, and supporting product testing such as CE, safety, EMI/EMC, IEC, UL, etc.
- Strong user of schematic capture software such as OrCAD or Altium, and experience with working with proper Product Data Management (PDM) protocols and document control methodologies for standard parts library.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes such as, cabling and wire harness construction, and printed circuit board fabrication. Understands and can implement proper techniques for design for manufacturability (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA).
- High comfort level to work independently, cope with ambiguity and lead teams. Must be able to effectively communicate own ideas, gathering ideas of others, and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.