Lead Photonics Design Engineer
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. To guarantee our continued position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a Pixel Design Engineer.
Imec USA, located in Kissimmee, FL, is an R&D design center facilitating collaboration between imec’s headquarters, based in Leuven, Belgium, and U.S.-based semiconductor and system companies, universities, and research institutes. It focuses on R&D of high speed electronics and photonics solutions. Initially, imec Florida will be offering IC design research for a broad set of semiconductor-based solutions such as mm-wave imaging, infra-red imaging, LIDAR systems, and a broad range of sensors.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Lead Phontonics Design Engineer.
Integrated photonic sensors lately receive a lot of attention for a wide spectrum of applications. Indeed, in analogy to electronic integrated circuits, photonic integrated circuits combine and miniaturize optical functions, such as (laser) sources, detectors and filters, on a chip. Such photonic integrated circuits, mass manufactured at high quality using optical lithography and etching, are already commonly applied in optical fiber communication networks that form the basis of the internet.Imec has developed a state-of-the-art technology in its CMOS-fab that enables the fabrication of integrated photonic chips on a large scale in a cost-effective way. Using this technology, successful sensors for telecom, industrial and biomedical applications have already been developed. They promise to revolutionize the application domains in which they are being deployed. As lead photonic design engineer, you will be responsible for the functional and architectural design of photonic imaging systems for bio-medical, automotive and industrial applications. Your tasks will include:
- Crafting the strategy for the silicon photonics team based on market inputs and foreseeable state of the art
- Setting up the silicon photonic design infrastructure (tools, libraries, …)
- Carrying out design, layout and characterization of photonic building blocks, circuits and systems.
- Improving and optimizing the existing design methodologies and procedures.
- Contributing to funded and bilateral projects through their definition and their execution, depending on the level of experience and expertise of the candidate.
- Reporting to colleagues and clients.
- Publishing in international journals and contributing to major conferences;
- Hiring more team members.
- Guiding internship/thesis students.
- You have a minimum of Master’s degree in Photonics, Electronics or Physics Engineering and demonstrated photonics design or electromagnetic wave propagation experience. A PhD degree is preferred.
- You have at least five years, ideally 10 years, of experience in silicon photonics design.
- You have at least three years of experience leading or managing a team of technical peers into uncharted territory.
- You show good communication skills as you will be required to interface with internal and external customers.
- You are able to take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team.
- You have good programming skills and can quickly take up software and libraries.
- You are pragmatic and hands on with a can do attitude.
- You have experience working in R&D environments.
- You have the ability to communicate with international teams.
- You are Fluent in English, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. In addition this is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. As befits a true world player, we offer you an attractive compensation package including medical, dental and vision, and 401k with employer match to reward your drive and commitment.Interested in more details?
Explore our website, www.imec-int.com, and be convinced!
*imec USA Nanoelectronics Design Center will ultimately be located along side a world-class fab at NeoCity. You can read more about the NeoCity project here: http://neocityfl.com/
stay up to date
Don’t miss out on new job opportunities
Receive new job opportunities