Sr. Director, Quality Engineering Newport Corporation
Santa Clara, CA
Newport, now part of MKS Instruments, is the world’s largest photonics company providing innovative solutions and industry-leading product brands to multiple markets. Our combined product portfolio includes Corion®, ILX Lightwave™, New Focus™, Ophir, Oriel® Instruments, Richardson Gratings™, and Spectra-Physics® Lasers. We provide complete photonic solutions to make, manage and measure light.|
Responsible for quality assurance and continuous improvement for $400M division of a profitable and growing high technology company. Develop, implement, maintain and improve business unit wide quality assurance systems, including tools, rules, training and processes for quality. Actively facilitate improvement in new product development, continuous improvement activities & quality initiatives, customer interface and manufacturing processes to ensure quality and reliability requirements are well defined, understood, incorporated and met. Ensures products and processes are continually improved to achieve the highest value products and services. Define and specify the implementation of standards, methods, metrics and procedures for inspecting, testing and evaluating the precision, accuracy, and reliability of company products. In general, act as the champion for quality improvement at all levels. Lead and instill a “sense of urgency” for product and process improvement to meet and exceed customer requirements. Implement Company-Wide Systems for improvement. This position has the opportunity to make a significant difference in the business.
*Position open to be located in Irvine, CA
- Lead the cross-functional and world-wide quality improvement team (reports in U.S., Europe and Asia).
- Analyze customer return and failure rate data in depth and trend Quality Metrics.
- Review repair data for accuracy and determine root cause and CAPA trending with focus on Systemic improvements.
- Conduct internal Quality data analysis and support or facilitate purge or hold activity as required.
- Prepare for and present data analysis reports to upper management and Customers.
- Lead failure investigation and corrective action for customer related failures, and facilitate customer quality & reliability interactions.
- Establish customer relationships with quality and reliability representatives.
- Manage / improve the maturity of the Quality MGMT System & Corrective Action Process.
- Prepare, manage and conduct internal audit for regulatory compliance.
- Need good manufacturing experience, customer experience. Work outside of quality if preferred including operations and/or development. For example, test engineering experience is good.
- Candidate must possess demonstrated leadership, communication, and influencing skills particularly with a Senior Management team, Asian Manufacturing Organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or physics, MS and or MBA Preferred with 10 years minimum industry experience.
- Experience with lasers, optics, photonics, metrology preferred.
- Looking for a hands leader who can to do both tactical and strategic activities (experience with a start-up is welcome)
- Strong analytical and technical ability (a problem solver). Experience with reliability at plus.
- Lean and 6 sigma experience. Manufacturing and operations experience.
- Experience with development (design and new product introduction) is preferred.
- Strong and thorough knowledge of quality engineering discipline, including:
- Quality data collection, Pareto & data analysis / trending
- Statistical concepts and methods.
- Inspection methods & tools, mechanical and electrical
- Strong and thorough knowledge of quality improvement tools, including:
- Design quality tools, including D/PFMEA, DFX, Poke-yoke, New Product Introduction
- Statistical decision making methods including process capability analysis, MSA and DoE
- Continuous improvement and structured problem solving such as 8-D and Kepner – Tregoe
- Customer quality interface, failure reports, 8-D. Excellent verbal / written communication, interpersonal, functional team building….. a change agent.
- Experience in effective collaboration with design, development and manufacturing organizations particularly as relates to design for manufacturing and reliability.
- Knowledge of 6 Sigma methods and techniques, process control systems, process capability, measurements and analysis, FMEA, preventive action, and continuous improvement programs required.
- Ability to use statistical analysis tool such as Minitab a plus
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Apply Here: http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Senior+Director&c=Newport+Corporation&l=Santa+Clara,+CA&jk=004c02aef1745e82&rtk=1bh40eqvf185i42d&from=rss