R&D Photonics Scientist/Engineer (Experienced) Sandia National Laboratories
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a creative, motivated Photonics Scientist with a passion for developing new photonics devices, optical microsystems, and/or photon sensing technologies to join our high-performing and collaborative team as an R&D Optical Engineer. In this role, you will both create and lead programs that drive cutting-edge R&D and develop novel optoelectronic solutions for communications, optical sensing, and metrology applications. You will utilize the capabilities available in Sandia’s compound semiconductor fab, Sandia’s silicon fab, and our heterogeneous integration and device test labs.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Create and lead technical programs that perform experimental laboratory-based research activities involving one or more of the following: novel semiconductor-based lasers, detectors, modulators, optical sensors, imaging arrays, and photonic microsystems.
- Design, fabricate, study, and evaluate new optoelectronic devices and integrated photonic components.
- Prototype and deliver photonic microsystems that integrate custom micro-optics, optoelectronics, and electronics.
- Publish in journals and conference proceedings, patent, and author program reports for customers.
Some minimal travel is required.
Qualifications We Require
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Optical Science or a closely related field plus 2 years of relevant experience.
- B.S. in a relevant STEM field.
- Experience with compound semiconductor optoelectronics, photonics, and/or infrared sensing.
- Experience with the fabrication or characterization of optoelectronic components and electronic devices.
- A strong publication and innovation record, as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal articles, conference proceedings, technical books, or issued patents.
Qualifications We Desire
- Strong academic credentials, with an undergraduate GPA of 3.2/4.0 and a graduate GPA of 3.5/4.0.
- A Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or a closely related field.
- 5-10 years of relevant technical experience in industry, a national lab, or in a faculty position.
- Demonstrated experience in a principal investigator role with an established record of successful project execution for R&D activities, including writing proposals and management of project scheduling and budget.
- A track record of collaboration across disciplines and organizational boundaries, and skill in building successful teams in order to achieve multi-disciplinary solutions to complex projects.
- Ability to discover, understand, and articulate customer needs.
- A strong background in heterogeneous integration and packaging of compound semiconductor optoelectronic devices.
- Experience in solid-state physics, electromagnetics, nanophotonics, plasmonics, classical optics, optoelectronic device engineering, compound semiconductor materials and/or related fields.
- A deep understanding of photodetectors and imaging systems.
- Active DOE/DOD security clearance.
About Our Team
The III-V Optoelectronics Department develops compound semiconductor and RF devices, photonics, and microsystems for national security applications including high-performance computing, communications, renewable energy, sensing and imaging. As part of Sandia’s Microsystems Science, Technology and Components Center, we research, design, fabricate, prototype, test and deliver novel lasers, photonic integrated circuits, RF and photonic microsystems, and sensors. We focus on R&D of high performance technology platforms and customized microsystems.
We leverage state-of-the-art materials and fabrication capabilities within Sandia’s MESA cleanroom complex to serve a broad mix of internal and external customers. Core capabilities include:
- Optical, optoelectronic and electronic modeling and simulation
- Epitaxial design, materials growth (MOCVD/MBE) and materials characterization
- Design, microfabrication and testing of III-V photonic devices, RF devices, and infrared detectors
- Heterogeneous microsystem integration and prototyping
- High-speed and harsh-environment optoelectronics, including device reliability assessments
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance *
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
* These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology…
Apply Here: http://www.indeed.com/job/R&D-Photonic-Scientist-Engineer-at-Sandia-National-Laboratories-in-Albuquerque,-NM-53b4a71d6250a77b