Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
The Application Engineer is responsible for providing technical support by solving problems, trouble shooting and working with customers to guide them to the best possible product solutions for their applications and experiments. The position works with several other application and design engineers that have years of experience covering: optics, lasers, polarization, fiber, opto-mechanics, spectroscopy, OCT, thin film coating and more. Between onsite lab opportunities and peer review, the position can be exposed to every facet of the photonics industry. The position is primarily at our headquarters in Newton, NJ but there may also be opportunities to travel to tradeshows, other Thorlabs manufacturing facilities (foreign and domestic), and training events on and offsite.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers worldwide.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and problem solving abilities in providing technical support to customers who purchase from our extensive product portfolio.
- Interface with multiple support teams around the world.
- Reproduce set ups and create technical solutions in the lab.
- Develop and provide customized solutions, assist in the design of custom products.
- Become skilled in the use of test equipment to help influence the design of next generation photonics products.
- Support Marketing and Sales activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits.
- Participate in managing the development of Thorlabs by being part of an interactive development forum.
- Develop Marketing Materials like test data, white papers, or video for use on our website or through another distribution channel
- Train new team members by passing on your unique skills to the growing group of Thorlabs Application Engineers.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.