Job Title: Graphic and Visual Arts Designer
Reports to: The President
We provide advanced photonics solutions and other specialty technology for US and international Special Operations Forces and Combat Arms elements that are forward in the fight.
B.E. Meyers & Co., Inc. is an ISO 9001:2008-certified developer, manufacturer, and systems integrator of optoelectronic and related products used in defense and law enforcement applications. The company’s core competencies include turnkey laser targeting and illumination systems, night-vision devices, long range surveillance, and other integrated laser systems. We are proud of our reputation as a technology leader in delivering solutions that are proven to meet the demanding performance requirements of extreme environments and combat conditions. Since our origin in 1974, we have been dedicated to providing the highest quality of products, services and support to our customers. B.E. Meyers is a privately-owned and operated small business located in Redmond, WA.
Fit is everything. We are a unique company and we are looking for a Graphic and Visual Arts Designer that is as excited about our mission as we are. The “right” candidate will work with our small but dynamic team as we continue to develop our marketing communication efforts. Guided by the President’s vision, the successful candidate will join our Marketing Department to assist us in full-spectrum marketing operations. In addition to working with our in-house staff, there will be ample opportunity to work with contract photographers, videographers, and other graphics support elements. This is an exciting opportunity for someone equally at ease in the office as much as they are on the shooting range. We’re looking for sharp, agile, and passionate individuals who are excited to explore more about this unique marketing arena. The successful candidate must have the ability to illustrate (via portfolio) a STRONG technical capability and aesthetic sense in regards to layout in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Premier, or similar video editing capability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Graphic and visual arts design
- Photography and video coordination and production
- Able to operate a Canon 5D for simple in-house video production
- Manage lighting for simple in-house video production
- Design and coordinate production of marketing collateral (including brochures, technical data sheets, trade show graphics and advertisements)
- Design templates in Microsoft Office products to ensure consistency across sales and marketing documents
- Maintain website by editing/uploading text, photos, and creating new pages as required
- Support Bus Dev team in planning of trade show displays and graphics
- Support other departments across the company as needed
- Provide artistic support for corporate photography and videography needs
- Responsible for version control and inventory of marketing materials
- Plans content, graphic aspects, and presentation of material, product, or service
- Determines size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, selects style and size of type, and arranges layout based upon available space, knowledge of layout principles, and esthetic design concepts
- Review final layout and suggests improvements as needed
- Print advertising
- Trade Show booth design
- Catalogues and printed material layout
- Able to multitask, juggle multiple assignments over long periods, and meet all established deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
- MUST LOVE GUNS
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design and three years experience; or an acceptable combination of education, training and experience
- Experience working as an in-house designer as opposed to an outside vendor
- Must provide a project portfolio demonstrating repeated success of similar projects
- Familiarity with firearms required
- This position will require occasional travel, typically in the Pacific Northwest, with (hopefully) reasonable notice
- May be required to attend tradeshows (domestic and international)
- A valid driver’s license and personal transportation are required
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Premier or a similar video editing capability
- Microsoft Office Suite software including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Must be able to communicate in English.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Effectively present ideas’both verbally and visually
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret information
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally and regularly requires walking, sitting, talking, and using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls and repeat the same movements. The employee may occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. This position requires the use of computers and keyboards for an extended period of time.
Specific vision abilities required by this job are close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Working on location may require long hours, sometimes overnight. The physical demands include, but are not limited to, transporting equipment, such as video and camera equipment, as well as weapons, ammunition and product.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job primarily operates in a clerical, office setting, however there are times when the job will require offsite travel, for example to photo shoots, gun ranges, tradeshows, and other destinations as required to fulfill the role.
While in an office setting, this role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, digital camera and fax machines.
You may find yourself working at a gun range, or on an abandoned ship, or at a ranch in eastern Washington or somewhere we just haven’t thought of yet. Each location comes with its own challenges and you must be prepared to work under various environmental conditions. Conditions may include, but are not limited to: rain, snow, mud, dust, direct sun, arid dessert environments, working at night, and hours of limited visibility using night vision equipment.