POST-OFFER BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED
Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain a Security Clearance for access to classified information.
Odyssey Systems is seeking a Systems Administrator to support its mission of researching and prototyping leading-edge, laser and quantum optical communications technologies.
The group’s current areas of research include single-photon detector arrays, coherent modems, integrated photonic circuits, and novel modulation and coding approaches. This research is enabled by a well-maintained network of Windows, Linux, and Mac OS personal computers, servers, network attached storage devices, and specialized laboratory equipment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Systems Administrator is responsible for procuring, configuring, and maintaining the Optical Communication Technology group’s computing, data storage, and networking hardware/software. These responsibilities include off-loading and expediting the group’s support requests from the Laboratory’s Information Services helpdesk. The sysadmin is also responsible for complying with security policies set forth by the Laboratory’s Information Security Services Dept. and research sponsors.
The group’s computing hardware consists of nearly 50 desktop and notebook PC’s, as well as several rack-mounted servers, running Windows 7 Enterprise, Linux (CentOS 6 & 7), and Mac OS. Some computers operate in laboratories connected to instruments and prototype equipment or have data acquisition cards installed. The sysadmin will assist group members configure device drivers, install engineering software, archive data, and provide general technical support.
• Active Secret required
• MS with at least 8 years of system administration experience
• A degree in an information technology related field, although additional experience may compensate for the lack of a degree
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• A solid understanding of Windows, Linux, Mac and network administration (including OS installation and patching
• Ability to write Bash, Python, VBScript, or Windows PowerShell scripts
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Self-directed, eager to learn, and works well alone or in a team
• Can present to an internal audience on hardware/software issues and security policies
• Ability to write purchase justifications
• Active Secret Clearance
• Virtual machine support (including ESX Server)
• Program and group server management and configuration support (including Active Directory account management)
• Private network support (including hardware, policy) and compliance with information security requirements