Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening in the NIF and Photon Science Organization within the HED Science and Technology (HED S&T) Program for a faculty member to engage in a collaborative research and work-study assignment of mutual interest to further their teaching or research goals. Opportunities include providing research plasma photonics, analyze experimental results, and perform theoretical analyses to interpret results.
- Analyze data through results from the Jupiter Laser Facility, JLF experiments on “slow light”, and perform theoretical analyses to interpret the results and guide experiments.
- Analyze research on plasma photonics, manipulation of light, using plasmas.
- Participate in new theoretical and numerical investigations of plasma photonics processes.
- Author complex scientific reports and provide verbal presentations for internal and external LLNL scientists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing faculty affiliated at an accredited institution with a Ph.D. in Physics, Theoretical Physics or related field or discipline, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience and analyzing complex experiments in the areas of optics, plasma physics, and laser-plasma interactions.
- Demonstrated analytical skills necessary to solve complex research problems and make decisions independently.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers and to deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience working effectively independently, as well as in a team, with minimal supervision in a goal-oriented environment
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
Note: This is a Temporary Faculty Scholar appointment with the possibility of extension. This assignment is typically a full-time position during the summer academic break.
Relisted position. Originally listed on March 16, 2017. Previous candidates need not reapply.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL’s mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.