· Leading cross-functional design and process teams from initial stages of product definition to detailed design, prototyping, reliability testing and transfer to manufacturing of optomechanical components
· Detailed specification engineering of end products as well as sub-components
· Developing robust and efficient supply chains for sub-components
· Opto-mechanical package design, including thermal and stress modeling, materials science and reliability engineering, as well as process optimization and development as required.
· Key process platforms include die and wire bonding, precision pick & place, laser welding and seam sealing.
· Develop into existing packaging process platforms, but also develop new processes as required.
· Identify critical issues in other areas of product design like optics and electronics, and lead cross functional teams in these areas
· Interact with customers to understand requirements, negotiate specifications, develop proposals and translate into internal program requirements
· Master’s degree in mechanical, optical or materials engineering
· 5+ years experience working with active opto-electronic components like high-power lasers, detectors and arrayed optical and electrical devices
· track record of having led and delivered on major package design initiatives.
· Experience with high reliability, harsh environment packaging is a plus, as well as prior experience in undersea, defense and space related optoelectronic programs.
Desirable functional skill sets include:
· Opto-mechanics, including integration of lasers and optics
· Packaging of focal plane arrays for imaging
· Able to work on a project basis – take chips delivered from a fab, perform all design and development, and then release to in-house production
· Mechanical design and thermal analysis and modeling
· Develop complex packaging processes
· SolidWorks experience
· Understanding of reliability
· Materials engineering and process expertise in chip bonding, wire bonding, die bonding and laser welding