Chief Scientist Newport Corporation
Irvine, CA 92606
Newport, now part of MKS Instruments, is the world’s largest photonics company providing innovative solutions and industry-leading product brands to multiple markets. Our combined product portfolio includes Corion®, ILX Lightwave™, New Focus™, Ophir, Oriel® Instruments, Richardson Gratings™, and Spectra-Physics® Lasers. We provide complete photonic solutions to make, manage and measure light.|
This position will focus on technology development and technical problem solving with responsibility to conduct research and testing of new and existing technologies and materials for optical components in both the fabrication of substrates and thin film coating.
- Conduct research and perform failure analysis on the structures and properties of materials such as metals, optical glass materials and crystal materials, thin film coating materials and polymers of organic and in-organic materials for precision optics applications and semiconductor related applications.
- Devise testing methods and/or establish protocols to evaluate the effects of various conditions on materials related to optical fab and coating material and processes as well as applications of laser based optical systems.
- Collaborate with internal R&D personnel and customer representatives during product development as well as failure analysis of existing products or programs.
- Confirm feasibility of processes and techniques used in the design and production of materials based on their special characteristics.
- Prepare scientific reports of studies and findings for the use by R&D personnel.Research methods of processing, forming and manipulating materials in order to develop new processes for product development and production.
- Study the nature, structure and physical properties of metals, optical glass materials and crystal materials, thin film coating materials and polymers of organic and in-organic materials and their responses to applied forces in the context of product developments and production.
- 15+ years’ experience working in the in precision optics field
- B.S./M.S. in general chemistry, physical chemistry, materials science, or a related field
- B.S. in Physics helpful
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Apply Here: http://www.indeed.com/job/Chief-Scientist-at-Newport-Corporation-in-Irvine,-CA-63201d85daf31766