The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,300. The total consolidated expenditure budget of the University is close to HK$7 billion (US$900 million) per year.
DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED PHYSICS
Professor / Associate Professor / Assistant Professor in Materials Science and / or Photonics (two posts)
The Department of Applied Physics is recognised as one of the strongest academic departments in research within the University. In the past Research Assessment Exercise, the Department attained the highest proportion of world leading research work in the University as well as the cost centre. It played an important role in the set up of the University Research Facility in Materials Characterization and Device Fabrication which comprises a Materials Research Centre, a Centre for Electron Microscopy and a Cleanroom. The Department has a size of 25 full-time academic staff members, about 70 postdoctoral fellows/research associates/assistants, 60 research postgraduate students, and 300 students in two academic programmes. The major research areas include nanomaterials, photonic materials and devices, smart materials and devices, and theoretical and computational physics. The Department is also actively considering a strategic move towards international excellence in smart materials, photonics and nano science and technology. Please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ap for more information about the Department.
The appointees will be required to:
- teach Physics, Materials Science, and/or Optoelectronics courses up to postgraduate level;
- supervise students in undertaking their undergraduate final year projects and postgraduate research theses;
- initiate a vigorous programme of applied research in ultrafast laser spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, energy materials and/or two-dimensional materials; and
- secure external competitive research grants, conduct academic research, publish in top-tier journals, and for appointment at the levels of Associate Professor and above, provide academic leadership in research and other scholarly activities;
- take charge of teaching laboratories and the ultrafast laser spectroscopy laboratory, if appropriate; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his delegates.
- have a PhD degree in Physics, Applied Physics, Materials Science or a related discipline;
- have relevant post-qualification experience and a good track record of research in one of the areas of ultrafast laser spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, energy materials and/or two-dimensional materials; and
- demonstrate commitment to excellence in teaching and learning, and evidence of effective classroom teaching skills.
Applicants for appointment at Professor or Associate Professor level should have substantial years of relevant post-qualification experience with excellent records of teaching, academic achievements, scholarly publications, and international reputation in research.
Successful candidates will be appointed at the levels commensurate with their qualifications and experience.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointments for Assistant Professor will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. An appropriate term will be provided for appointments at Associate Professor and Professor levels. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please submit application form via email to [email protected]; by fax at (852) 2764 3374; or by mail to Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong. If you would like to provide a separate curriculum vitae, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Application forms can be obtained via the above channels or downloaded from http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php. The closing date for application is Friday, 19 May 2017. Applicants who are not invited to an interview within two months of the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful. Details of the University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.