Job Description Overview:
The Electrical Subsystems Directorate (ESD), EO Products and Technologies Department is currently searching for an Optical Design Engineer with optical design and analysis skills, interest and/or experience in infrared systems, optical tolerancing, optical fabrication, and testing. Chosen team member will work with multi-discipline teams supporting military programs through the application of optical design tools in the development and production phases of optical sensors. Assignments may include optical design, optical analysis such as stray light analysis, optical tolerancing, prototype development with optical component suppliers, optical testing, troubleshooting EO systems, and providing solutions to a variety of EO problems of moderate scope and complexity. Candidate should be capable of leading small teams and will work closely with Integrated Product Team Leads/Program Managers ensuring engineering requirements are defined, risks are managed and schedules/budgets are met. Candidate will work under limited supervision while exercising responsibility in determining and meeting the technical, financial and schedule objectives of projects. As an Optical Engineer, decisions are data driven in nature and require preparing technical justification analysis reports as well as presenting to a variety of Engineering Review Boards.
Roles and responsibilities:
Lead optical engineer within a product development team, responsible for all optical aspects of product development, including optical design and analysis using CodeV or Zemax.
Responsible for Lead optical design authority within a product design team, specifically for Concept Design, Detailed Design, Prototyping, Transition-to-Production, Development Process Execution, Design Reviews, Schedule & Financial management and to communicate change-of-scope conditions to Design Manager and to Program Management.
Prepare specifications, drawings, technical data packages, procedures and related engineering change orders
Assist with troubleshooting of design or fabrication problems with opto-mechanical sub-systems in production
Partner with functional leaders to successfully execute and achieve all program milestones
Prepare and present at regular internal and external program/status review
U.S. Citizenship required
- Minimum related work experience in optical design or analysis of four (4) years with a BS degree or higher in Optical Engineering or related discipline
- Knowledge and experience in infrared and visible optical design, analysis and tolerancing
- Proficient in CODE V and/or Zemax
- Experience using Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Master’s degree in Optical Engineering or related discipline
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in full life cycle of product development thru production
- Experience with FRED (stray light analysis)
- Proposal writing experience
- Active DoD issued secret or higher security clearance
- Leading new business capture activities and winning new business in a competitive environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to pro-actively communicate program status, issues and associated resolution plans
Bachelor’s Degree in Optics, Physics, or Systems Engineering or related discipline. MS or PhD in Optics, Physics, or Systems Engineering preferred.
This position requires the ability to obtain and hold a DoD secret security clearance.
This position may require the successful issuance, transfer or maintenance of any clearances and/or accesses necessary for the position. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Additional detail regarding security clearance factors can be obtained by accessing the DISCO website at: http://www.dss.mil/psmo-i/indus_psmo-i_interim.html
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5370924