Purpose of the Position
This is a unique opportunity to support the expansion of Optical Tables sales within the US. The successful candidate will develop an installation network across the US by coordinating with local logistics, heavy-freight and labour companies. The candidate will also be required to support the US Sales and Tech Support teams with technical, logistical or customers’ self-install Optical Tables questions.
The ideal candidate must have excellent communication and organizational skills, complete dedication to customer service, and some experience with hand, air, and power tools. This individual will receive extensive sales and manufacturing training within the UK. There will also be global travel opportunities involving customer visits and tradeshows.
This role is based in the US office, reporting directly to the Technical Support Manager with a dotted line to the UK-based Tables Customer Support Manager.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Recruit, train and deploy a network of installation sub-contractors across the United States, able to handle Optical Table and Laser Curtain installations
- Create, monitor and report-out on metrics to measure the success of any initiatives
- Ensure all installation sub-contractors are kept up to date with any training needs
- Identify and contact customers with open Tables quotes that may require an installation service
- Assist local Tech Support with Tables queries about installation services and self-install options
- Provide the Imaging Systems BU with installation support for large imaging systems
- Create a user friendly process from RFQ to Order Processing to Installation/Delivery
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- 1 – 2 years of experience within a customer interfacing role
- BS in a Photonics related field (Physics, Engineering, Biophotonics, etc) or equivalent experience, MS preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience within a customer interfacing role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with internal and external customers
- Proactive and positive approach with a strong customer centric focus
- Good understanding of US freight network is essential
- Experience with movement of large, heavy goods is desirable
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Some experience working with hand, air, and power tools
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.