Lead Optical Engineer Magic Leap, Inc. 4 reviews
Magic Leap is an eclectic group of visionaries, rocket scientists, wizards, and gurus from the fields of film, robotics, visualization, software, computing, and user experience. We are growing quickly, and this is the time to get on board and play a role in shaping the way people will be interacting with the world tomorrow.
This position is for a Lead Optical Engineer working in Magic Leap’s Advanced Photonics R&D team. The Lead Optical Engineer will be responsible for innovation of key optical component-level technology to enable the next-generation of our Mixed Reality experience. The Lead Optical Engineer is expected to develop action plans in multiple diffractive optics research thrusts and to effectively lead technical deliverables in these areas to achieve aggressive goals.
- A key member of the R&D team with a focus on product development, next-generation technologies, and prototyping.
- Perform research and development of optical components, including investigation of cutting-edge technology to meet high-performance design objectives.
- Duties include designing experiments; collecting, analyzing and interpreting data; technical problem solving; innovating creative solutions; providing mentorship and guidance to other team members; and clear communication of findings
- MS or PhD in optics, physics or related fields, with 10+ years of industry experience in optical components or sub-systems.
- Must possess expert knowledge of diffractive optics, including surface-relief (digital and analog) structures and volume-phase structures
- Must possess extensive hands-on experience in diffractive optical elements, preferably in the design and fabrication of diffractive optical elements.
- Must have significant experience with imaging optics; experience with display optics preferred.
- Must have experience with laboratory-based R&D characterization of optic components and knowledge in test and metrology techniques to verify diffractive prototype performance
- Experience with image quality assessment, camera & imaging systems, and general laboratory optics is required.
- Must convey a strong sense of urgency and have a bias for action in a highly dynamic and creative environment
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills. Focused on problem resolution and delivering solutions.
- Must be able to communicate and work well with multidisciplinary groups
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills are required
- Must possess knowledge of a broad range of optics/photonics including imaging, illumination, radiometry and photometry, physical and geometric optics, diffractive optics, waveguide optics, and polarization.
- Experience with statistical analysis (JMP, Minitab) and scientific data processing software (Origin, Mathcad, Matlab) is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with photonic meta-materials is preferred.
- Experience with diffractive optics design and modeling software, including gsolver, Zemax, Lumerical, COMSOL or other packages is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with color science, colorimetry, and visual optics is preferred.
- Experience with LabView is desired.
Apply Here: http://www.indeed.com/job/Lead-Optical-Engineer-at-Magic-Leap-in-Austin,-TX-c0ee1856e8e4838a