Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
Purpose of the Position
The position works with the Software team to develop and maintain life-science imaging platforms. The ideal candidate for this role will be someone who has strong C#/C++ development skills and experience designing Windows based instrumentation systems. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Document requirements and design specifications as well as verification plans and test cases
- Participate in code, design and architectural reviews
- Perform coding and unit tests of requirements as they are defined
- Device driver design and implementation
- Software testing and assisting with validation of system design
- Assist with project planning, estimation and tracking
- Software installation, configuration and upgrading
- Report development status to supervisor on a regular basis
- Maintain an orderly laboratory notebook and design history file
- Assist both the service and manufacturing departments in troubleshooting technical problems with software. This includes training of personnel
- Recommend innovations and improved methods, tools, and processes
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
No physical demands required to perform duties.
- 3+ years of proven experience in commercial software design, development, and implementation
- Experience with image analysis/processing is a plus
- Experience with Matlab is a plus.
- Experience with WPF is a plus
- Experience with Team Foundation Server is a plus
- Experience with Install Shield is a plus
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field required
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be fluent programming in C# and/or C++, and have a solid command of object oriented design principles
- In-depth knowledge of building software on Windows Win7/Win8
- Must have excellent verbal, written and listening skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with others both within and external to the engineering group
- Must possess the ability to quickly and creatively solve unexpected problems using strong analytical skills
- Strong ability to take initiative/ownership
—This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.