Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
Purpose of the Position
The technician fabricates optical fiber equipment. Provides support to optical fiber equipment production by troubleshooting in mechanical and/or electrical. Assists with the fabrication of new products within Vytran Business Unit. This level builds on experience gained as Technician by either obtaining more depth in specific subject area with the expectation that assignments are larger and more complex, or by gaining experience in more subject areas. Works under the direction of Production Manager. Although the location of the position is in Morganville, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to understand written work instructions, mechanical drawings, and schematics for a wide range of products to properly assemble and test the final product to the highest of quality standards and with zero scrap or rework.
- Assemble products of varying sizes and complexity. Includes cleaning, inspecting, and testing of complex sub-assemblies and final assemblies.
- Notify engineering of conditions requiring more complex resolution, recurring failures, potential service issues, or identified new product limitations. Make recommendations for potential design or procedural changes.
- Proper handling of critical and fragile optical components.
- Perform system diagnostics and review of production units to determine operating performance and potential causes or areas of quality control failures.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, run appropriate computer programs, analyze data, isolate areas of potential or actual problems and determine any required modifications to suit current requirements and resolve problems.
- Complete projects according to engineering instructions and technical manuals using knowledge of electronic, mechanical, and optical systems or components.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment through compliance with procedures, policies and regulations.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience. Optical fiber equipment senior assembler/technician experience preferred.
- Two-year technical degree or accredited apprenticeship program or the equivalent in a technical field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in using hand tools
- Proficiency in computer use (MS Office) and communication tools
- Fast and effective problem solving abilities
- Process improvement experience
- Ability to lead and train a diverse group
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to lead is self-directed
- Learning oriented.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Apply Here: http://jobview.monster.com/Production-Technician-Job-Morganville-NJ-US-180788015.aspx