Newport, now part of MKS Instruments, is the world’s largest photonics company providing innovative solutions and industry-leading product brands to multiple markets. Our combined product portfolio includes Corion®, ILX Lightwave™, New Focus™, Ophir, Oriel® Instruments, Richardson Gratings™, and Spectra-Physics® Lasers. We provide complete photonic solutions to make, manage and measure light.
The human resource generalist performs duties at the professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, recruitment, training, employment, benefits management, employee health and safety, onboarding, performance management, policy implementation and regulatory compliance. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization. The generalist must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill and the business needs.
POSITION DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; writes and places advertisements; and conducts new-employee orientations.
- Interviews, screens and recruits job applicants to fill entry-level, professional and technical job openings.Reviews applications and interviews applicants to match experience with specific job-related requirements.
- Partners with employees and management to communicate various human resource policies, procedures, laws, standards and other government regulations.
- Reviews benefits with employees and assists with processing enrollments, changes and cancelations.Assists with annual open enrollment communications and election process.
- Coaches, counsels and guides managers before executing employee disciplinary actions.
- Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints.
- Represents the company for any unemployment claims.
- Facilitates or provides training to the workforce.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Maintains organization charts and employee directories and personnel files
- Insures compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Monitors and reviews employee performance appraisals and ensures they are done in a timely manner.
- Reports, maintains and monitors all workers’ compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- Identifies ways to improve policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or a related field or equivalent education, training and experience.
- Three to five years of experience in human resource generalist role.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Strong level of influence and negotiation skills
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Expertise in HR policies and procedures
- Intermediate skill level with MS Office suite
- Able to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
- Able to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with people in course of work.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) certification is helpful but not required
- Occasional work hour flexibility to accommodate deadlines and national/international conferencing.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Req. Code : 70001825
Division/Department : Photonix
% of Travel Required : 0-10%
Skills : Human Resources -> Staffing/Recruiting, Employee Relations