Newport, now part of MKS Instruments, is the world’s largest photonics company providing innovative solutions and industry-leading product brands to multiple markets. Our combined product portfolio includes Corion®, ILX Lightwave™, New Focus™, Ophir, Oriel® Instruments, Richardson Gratings™, and Spectra-Physics® Lasers. We provide complete photonic solutions to make, manage and measure light.
Reporting to the General Manager of the Integrated Systems Business (ISB) within MKS’s Vacuum and Analysis Division, this senior management level position is accountable for all aspects of managing ISB RD engineering team. This is a very challenging position which requires ability to lead the team in developing state-of-the-art opto-electro-mechanical subsystems while working with extremely demanding customers under very tight schedule constraints. This position is also responsible for continuously developing the engineering team. A candidate for this position will not only have to be a subject matter expert in optical engineering, but also will have to possess very strong leadership and interpersonal skills necessary to quickly earn respect of a highly qualified and ambitious team.
Position Responsibilities and Job Duties:
- Lead ISB RD engineering team.
- Coach, mentor and motivate team members.
- Set objectives for the team.
- Guide the team towards the objectives.
- Hold the team responsible for accomplishing the objectives.
- Provide technical leadership for all active programs.
- Develop and grow new capabilities.
- Establish, grow and maintain relationships with engineering management of ISB customers.
- Actively work with Marketing and Sales to win new business for ISB.
- Attend meetings with potential future customers.
- Prepare and give presentations.
- Support development of proposals and quotes.
- Actively work with Operations teams.
- Ensure successful New Product Introduction/ production launch.
- Ensure support for sustaining engineering for ISB products.
- Ensure support for maintaining differentiating capabilities, such as unique optical metrology capabilities.
- Actively work with ISB Quality and Reliability team.
- Provide support for ISB strategic planning activities.
- Lead the development of ISB Technology Roadmap and provide support for its execution.
- Manage all aspects of ISB RD AOP budget including compensations, travel, capital expenditures, etc.
- Actively work with all other business units of MKS Instruments in order to support overall success of the company.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned by MKS management.
- M.S. in optical/mechanical engineering or optical physics, as a minimum – Ph.D. strongly preferred. Management M.B.A. degree in addition to technical degree preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in managing teams of engineers and scientists.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in the area of integrated optical subsystem design and manufacturing.
- Experience with semiconductor capital equipment industry.
- Ability to lead the engineering team in developing complex state-of-the-art opto-electro-mechanical subsystems under extremely challenging schedule constraints while working with extremely demanding customers.
- Extensive experience interacting with customers and within cross-functional or matrix organizations.
- Very strong leadership skills, communications skills, presentation skills and interpersonal skills.
- Travel approximately 25%.
Req. Code : 70007607
Division/Department : IIS