Purpose of the Position
The position is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with OEM customers and Key Accounts in a given geographical region. A primary focus of this position will be new business generation, including lead qualification and solution development. Activities include frequent communication with the customer (specifications, pricing, product availability, services, etc), contract negotiation, and coordination of design and manufacturing resources for custom solutions. Key to this role is close engagement with the various business units and entities across the global Thorlabs organization representing extensive manufacturing capabilities.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Identify new opportunities with existing and new OEM customers
- Increase sales volume of assigned accounts
- OEM and Key Account Management
- Dedicated point of contact for the customer
- Ensure that products and services meet or exceed customer expectations
- Handle all negotiations with OEM customers and Key Accounts
- Be the customer’s advocate within Thorlabs
- Work with OEM Project Managers, Engineers, and Sales Coordinators to provide customers with custom solutions from project conception to project end–of-life strategies
- USA point of contact for overseas Thorlabs OEM opportunities involving US manufacturing resources
- Provides accurate sales forecasting to OEM Sales Manager and helps define strategies for territory and specific market growth
- Provides market feedback to RD and MarCom groups
- Attends tradeshows regularly
- Manage and maintain pipeline and opportunities in CRM
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds. No environmental hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical sales and/or key account management, preferably with OEM accounts and/or in the photonics industry
- BS in a Photonics related field (Physics, Engineering, or related field) or equivalent experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience with CRM tools, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) and communication tools
- Creative sales and business development strategies for lead generation
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment
- Ability to work independent as well as part of a team
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities
- Ability to fluently write and speak English
Travel is expected 50%.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.